Want to make a difference in the Denver community, but not sure how to get started? Use your legal background for good with the Metro Volunteer Lawyers (MVL)! There are currently 5 different programs you can get involved with at different levels: Referrals, the Family Law Court Program, Post-Decree Clinics, the Legal Clinic and the Denver Indian Center, and the Power of Attorney Workshop. Through these programs, MVL’s mission is “to bridge the gap in access to justice by coordinating the provision of pro bono legal services by volunteer lawyers within the Denver Metro Area to people who could not otherwise afford legal services for their civil legal issues.”
- Helping MVL clients is a rewarding way to serve the needs of the less fortunate in your community, helping work towards our constitutional mandate of providing equal justice under the law.
- Advancing the reputation of the legal profession.
- Obtaining practical legal experience.
- Fulfilling your professional responsibility to provide legal services to those unable to pay. A lawyer should aspire to render at least fifty hours of pro bono public legal services per year. Colorado Rules of Professional Conduct Rule 6.1.
- You can receive CLE credits for pro bono work. Under C.R.C.P. 260.8, Colorado attorneys providing uncompensated pro bono legal representation may apply for 1 general CLE credit for every 5 billable-equivalent hours of representation, up to a maximum of 9 credits in each 3 year compliance period. Download the application form HERE.
- MVL provides attorneys with malpractice insurance for the cases they take through our organization.
Volunteering with MVL’s Family Law Court Program is a tremendous way to assist clients for one morning and/or afternoon, without agreeing to take on a case full-on. You can even sign-up just to observe until you are comfortable enough to provide legal assistance. Find out more info HERE.
MVL is currently in need of volunteer attorneys to take pro bono and low-fee cases- there are currently 20 family law cases for referral that need your help!